Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday Reflection


I have just been to a very moving Anglican Choral Eucharist service which was a wonderful way to begin Lent. I thought I'd share with you a prayer from the liturgy which I found particularly helpful: 


For these forty days
you lead us to into the desert of repentance
that through a pilgrimage of prayer and discipline 
we may grow in grace
and learn to be your people once again. 
Though fasting, prayer and acts of service
you bring us back to your generous heart. 
Through study of your holy word
you open our eyes to your presence in the world 
and free our hands to welcome others
into the radiant splendour of your love.
(Eucharistic Prayer)

When we are marked with ashes, it is a sign of the spirit of penitence which we retain throughout the season of Lent. Ashes are also a symbol of our own mortality and remind us that we are but dust, and to dust we shall return.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Liz!
    I received "Celtic Treasure" today. Eager to read and review for you. Thanks!
    Kim Bagato

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message: